Friday, September 16, 2011

Pushed to the limit

So, ya, by now I think you have noticed I am *Not* an avid blogger, as much as I would like to be, I just get lazy and find other things to do, or not do! So this post is going to be more of a rant, so that I do not bombard my loving husband as soon as he walks through the door! I hate to word vomit to you, but I even more-so hate to word vomit on him, especially because I know today is a rough one for him...

Well, I am so utterly done with El Paso, I cannot even describe it. I think we are all feeling the effects of being in one place too long, and a place we did not even ask to come to. I hate that I have no control over helping my children while at school when they need help. Case in point, Justin. He is struggling at school so much it is hard for me to deal with. I have zero clues as to what  can do to help him, and it seems that the school also has that same attitude. We had a parent/teacher conference last week with his teacher and basically went well. She had her theories and we had ours. The thing that bothers me is that she told us to be firm on him at home so it co insides with firm at school.. Uhhhh we are very hard on our kids and I think he has been able to get away with so much at school he has learned this behavior. I feel bad for the teacher, that she has to deal with it (luckily she is a strict one) so she does not let him get away with much. It just tears me up inside (so much so that I might have an ulcer, or the beginnings of one!) that he is struggling. It is hard, very hard to watch your kids struggle.

So, a couple weeks ago we went to the commissary and picked up some "medicine" for Justin. We are all for tricking our kids so we thought we would tell him that the vitamins were for his focus and behavior and if he took one every day he would be better. It was an experiment. So last week, we heard nothing from the teacher! So, I figured it was a good week.. then this week we heard nothing again... that is until today.. here is her e-mail to me:

Justin's behavior is getting a little bit better.
His work habits continue to be a problem. He isn't doing work like he should, he's wasting time, continually playing around and I believe he is pretending not to know what to do. Keep in mind all of this is after I continually give him directions, re-direct him etc...
Today he missed computer lab math games because he wouldn't finish his writing.
He also is turning in very poor work, again after re-direction.
I am hoping that with his progress report next week Justin will realize that his having no privileges and getting poor scores on his report card will continue until he makes the choice to do his school work and behave like he should.
Sorry for the bad news but again, I am hoping Justin makes some progress soon, he is so smart and can do the work successfully if he chooses to.


I thought all was well, then 2 weeks later... 2 weeks.. she says he is not improving very much. Sigh. So, what is going on and how the heck do I figure it out and help!?! I am so fricking frustrated with everything I just don't know. I took him out of school last year a month before school let out to home school and it was not too bad, and he seemed to know what he was doing... So, what is happening at school? Does he really need medicine to make him focus? Does he need to be in 2nd grade again because 3rd grade is too hard for him? Ugh!

So I talked to Justin today after school and I got a little upset and yelled because what he was telling me and what his teacher was telling me seemed to be different things. Then he broke down after I asked him if he was struggling. He started to hyperventilate and sob that he was struggling and he did not know why. I suppose this will need serious prayer, because I just do not know what I can do anymore. We do have a referral to a mental health professional so I need to get that appointment date. I guess we will go from there.

Sorry for the rant! I just needed to get that off my chest!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Oh Teri, I'm so sorry you guys are going through that :( I hope with this mental health referal, things will get figured out. It's really hard to see what the answer should be, but I know you guys are doing the right thing by seeking help, and praying for direction. You can call and word vomit on me all you want, anytime ;) Love you guys!